The 40-minute essay format demands persuasion and analysis. 123helpme Pupils are offered with three perspectives on a subject and asked to “evaluate and analyze” the perspectives, “state and develop” your very own viewpoint, and to then “explain the connection” between the 3 views and their very own.
Here’s a test from ACT.org
Lots of the products or services we depend on daily are actually given by intelligent, automatic machines in the place of people. Robots develop vehicles along with other items on construction lines, where when there have been workers that are human. A number of our phone conversations are actually carried out perhaps maybe perhaps not with individuals however with advanced technologies. We could now purchase goods at many different shops with no assistance of a peoples cashier. Automation is typically regarded as a indication of progress, exactly what is lost once we exchange people with devices? Because of the accelerating variety and prevalence of intelligent devices, it really is well well well worth examining the implications and concept of their existence within our life.
Perspective One: that which we lose because of the replacement of individuals by machines is some element of our very own mankind. Also our mundane daily encounters not require from us courtesy that is basic respect, and threshold for others.
Perspective Two: Machines are great at low-skill, repeated jobs, as well as high-speed, exceptionally precise jobs. Both in situations they function better than people. This effectiveness results in an even more successful and modern world for every person.
Attitude Three: smart devices challenge our ideas that are long-standing just just what humans are or is. This can be good given that it pushes both humans and devices toward brand new, unimagined opportunities.
ASSIGNMENT: Write a unified, coherent essay in regards to the increasing existence of smart devices for which you address the offered views along with provide your own personal undertake why you agree or disagree.
- Invest 5-10 minutes preparing your essay: this implies to simply take a moments that are few arrange your ideas.
- Verify your knowledge of the prompt while the three views: The views not just add an assertion concerning the subject but a viewpoint about any of it. Don’t spend your time wanting to appear having a fourth perspective. Your task would be to secure for a viewpoint you feel many supporting that is comfortable. Keep in mind, your task would be to “analyze the partnership betwixt your viewpoint as well as minimum one other perspective”.
- Brainstorm or make note of notes and explanations: Since you’ll need certainly to talk about the relationship betwixt your viewpoint and also at minimum one of several presented perspectives, it is important to incorporate evidence in your essay.
- Where you might get your ‘evidence’:
- The opening for the prompt typically provides examples that are several may use in your essay.
- Utilize experience that is personal to you personally or somebody you realize and sometimes even be inventive and also make one up!
- Usage statistics: It’s OK to produce up generalizations that help wisdom that is conventional. As an example, one strongly related this prompt may be: 80-90% of callers find yourself hanging up when prompted by some type of computer over and over repeatedly.
- Use historical sources or present occasions. As an example: The invention for the vehicle impacted every part of y our life and literally changed this course of civilization. We are contemplating the impact of driverless cars on society today.
- Keep in mind, there was no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ solution to react to the three perspectives. in the event that you disagree aided by the first viewpoint – dismissive of this unwanted effects of smart devices – you would like to deal with one other two positive perspectives in one single paragraph.
NOTE: you merely want to analyze the partnership in the middle of your viewpoint plus one associated with the three provided; however, when you have strong proof for both of this other views, you can evaluate each of them in accordance with your viewpoint.
Utilize this format that is basic to create your essay. Alot 25-28 moments for composing as well as minimum 3-5 mins to proof.
Paragraph #1: Introduction – Your introduction can be your declaration for the thesis – your viewpoint. Make certain it offers your statement from the presssing issue delivered along with exactly how it pertains to one of many other views. Your intro ought to be 2-4 sentences.
Paragraph no. 2: assess the first viewpoint you aren’t supporting with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph # 3: measure the other viewpoint maybe not selected with PARTICULAR examples.
Paragraph # 4 (and 5): here is the paragraph that analyzes the viewpoint you trust and this could be the biggest one, possibly also 2 paragraphs. Once more, examples must certanly be PARTICULAR, maybe not a simple listing!
Final paragraph: Your summary that states the last evaluation of one’s argument restating your thesis.
This structure helps to ensure that you will address everything demanded within the project.
Take note that we stated CERTAIN examples each right amount of time in all caps. That is because i’ve noticed once I read most essays, examples are only detailed, perhaps not elaborated in! The greater amount of particular the greater. The graders are seeking indications you understand history, present activities, literary works, technology, etc. – that you’ve got discovered something in senior school!
Use qualifying adverbs liberally: apparently, just, really, primarily, typically, etc.
Ensure you enable at the least 3-5 moments to proofread your essay to get any “Language Use” mistakes: (sentence structure, mechanics, syntax, and term option) since that is one of many requirements useful for scoring.
You may get a complete of five ratings because of this test: an individual subject-level writing rating reported on a variety of 2-12, and four domain ratings, additionally 2-12, which are predicated on a scoring rubric that is analytic. The subject-level rating will end up being the average regarding the four domain scores. The four domain ratings are:
Some ideas and research developing and help Organization Language Use and Conventions
A picture of one’s essay are going to be offered to your school that is high and universities you want to get ACT scores forwarded to.
The essay is optional and will also be the last area on the ACT. Numerous universities need the essay, therefore you are applying, it’s best to take the test with the essay if you are unsure where.